The 4th of July (Independence Day) celebration is coming up in a couple of days. For the last several years our church congregation has held a big barbecue dinner for members, family and friends. It is always a great time of fellowship and fun. The church provides the meat (barbecue ribs, burgers, hot dogs and sausages) and the members bring side dishes and desserts.
Paleo 4th of July Recipes!
In case you have been looking for some paleo 4th of July menu ideas, I thought it would be nice to highlight some of my personal favorites for summertime celebrations.
This year I will be taking a Kale and Avocado Salad just as I did last year. It was a big hit even with people who said they had never enjoyed kale. Avocado does that. It makes almost anything better IMHO. I will also be taking a Spicy Cilantro Lime Slaw. It is really colorful and has great crunch and just enough spice to give it a nice kick. It will go great with those ribs our minister will be cooking up!
Spicy Cilantro Lime Slaw Recipe
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers (depending on your heat tolerance), seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl combine the cabbage, carrots, onion, cilantro and jalapeño(s).
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Toss it all together and serve.
Happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans!
And for the rest of you around the world I’m sure you can find a suitable occasion in your own country (or no occasion at all!) to enjoy some of these recipes.
Find us on Facebook.