Asian-Style Beef Short Ribs (Paleo)
Delicious beef short ribs
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Category: Main
- 5 lbs beef short ribs (ideally from grass-fed/finished cows)
- 1 teaspoon fat/oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 hot pepper (I used serrano)
- 2 inches of fresh ginger root, peeled (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos*
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (make sure it is gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 5 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 3-4 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- Season the beef ribs lightly with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large, oven-proof pan on medium-high heat and spread a thin layer of fat/oil to keep the ribs from sticking.
- Sear the ribs for about 1-2 minutes on the meaty sides. You will probably have to do this in batches. Remove to a platter and cover with aluminum foil.seared beef short ribs
- Sauté the chopped onion for about 10 minutes in the same pan you used to sear the ribs.
- Mince the garlic, ginger and pepper (or use a food processor as I did) and add to the pan with the onions, cooking while stirring for about one minute.
- Return the beef ribs to the pot and add the stock, water, coconut aminos, vinegar and fish sauce. Make sure the ribs are just covered in the liquid.
- Bring to a simmer, cover tightly and place in a preheated 300 degree F oven. Cook for 3 hours.
- Remove the pot from the oven. Remove the short ribs to a separate platter and cover them with foil to keep warm.
- Allow the sauce to cool somewhat and strain it through a mesh sieve. I like to use a spoon to press the juices out of the solids. Dispose of the solids. (You might want to skim some of the fat off the sauce at this point, especially if you are using conventional beef.)sauce through sieve
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and reduce to about 1 1/2 cups. It will be very rich. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and juice of one orange and continue simmering until mushrooms are softened – 5-10 minutes. shiitake mushrooms
- Place the beef short ribs back into the pan and coat them with the sauce.
- Serve the ribs warm, with the mushrooms and garnished with orange zest and sliced scallions.