Banana Squash and Leek Soup with Bacon
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Category: Soup
- 1/2 medium banana squash (approximately 5 cups cooked)
- 1 lb bacon
- 3 leeks
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Chives as garnish
- Wash the leeks and cut off the dark green parts. (save them for stock if you are feeling ambitious)
- Trim off the little beards at the other end and discard.
- Use a chef’s knife to slice lengthwise.
- Rinse the leeks in water to remove any grit. (use a colander or a salad spinner)
- Slice the leeks into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and fry in a large stock pot or Dutch oven.
- Remove the bacon pieces and set aside.
- Drain off some of the bacon fat leaving 3-4 tablespoons in the pan.
- Add the leeks to the hot bacon grease and fry on medium heat until soft and aromatic, about 10 minutes.leeks frying for banana squash and leek soup
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the cooked banana squash to the pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add back about 1/3 of the bacon pieces to the pot.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender or use an immersion blender until it is smooth.
- Season with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with the remaining crunchy bacon and fresh chives.