- 3 pounds button mushrooms
- 3/4 cup ghee (or 1 1/2 sticks of pastured butter)
- 1 bottle Burgundy wine (or other dry red wine)
- 2 cups chicken stock or beef stock
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, optional
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons celtic sea salt (quantity will depend upon how salty your stock is)
- Wash the mushrooms and put them into a large stockpot.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except the salt and thyme (if using).
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for six hours.
- Add the thyme at this point (if using)
- Remove the lid and continue cooking, uncovered, for three hours.
- Add salt to taste at the end. Keep warm until needed.