- 3/4 cup coconut flour (do not pack down!)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup shortening (non-hydrogenated)
- 4–5 slices organic bacon
- 1 large shallot, minced (about 1/3 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and fry until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to remove the crispy bacon pieces to a small bowl.
- Fry the minced shallots in the bacon fat until translucent, picking up all the browned bacon bits from the pan. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the coconut flour, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer whisk the five eggs together with the apple cider vinegar. Add the flour mixture and beat until combined – the mixture will be very thick.
- Add the shallots and bacon fat and the shortening and continue mixing until well-combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the bacon pieces and mix until combined.
- Spoon mixture onto a baking sheet covered in either parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Bake for 15 minutes until slightly browned on top.