Crystallized Ginger Scones (Paleo and Vegan)
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 8 Scones
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: English
- 2 cups (200 g) blanched almond flour
- 3/4 cup (84 g) coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup liquefied virgin coconut oil (for vegan version), or ghee or unsalted pastured butter, melted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces chopped crystallized ginger, diced; or raisins or dried currants
- 2 teaspoons maple or turbinado sugar, for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside.
- Weigh the flours and sift together with the baking powder and salt into a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, lemon zest and vanilla and work them in with a spoon until the mixture is slightly crumbly. Stir in the ginger.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet and shape it into a ball. Gently press until the dough comes together. Press the dough into a disk about 8 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. Slice the disk into eight equal wedges (no need to separate the wedges) and sprinkle with maple sugar, if using.
- Bake the scones until they are golden brown on the outside but moist on the inside, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Allow the scones to cool on the baking sheet for several minutes before using a spatula or a knife to pull them apart.