- 5 pounds beef and veal bones (preferably including some joints)
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2–3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2–3 stalks of celery, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 4 Bay leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 10–15 peppercorns
- 12 cups of cold water
- Celtic sea salt (added at the end of the process)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the bones on a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes, flip them over and roast for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush hot bones on all sides with the tomato paste.painting roasted bones
- Add the onion, carrots and celery to the roasting pan and roast for a final 30 minutes.
- Add the roasted bones and vegetables to a large crock pot (or stock pot).
- Place the pan on the stove and deglaze with the vinegar, scraping the bottom of the pan for browned particles.
- deglaze pan with vinegar
- Pour some of the water into pan to further deglaze it and then pour the resulting liquid into the crock pot along with the remainder of the 12 cups of cold water.
- Add the Bay leaves, garlic and peppercorns to the pot.
- Cover and cook on low heat for at least 24 hours and up to 72 hours.
- Remove from the heat and skim off any fat that has risen to the surface.
- Strain the liquid and discard the bones and other ingredients.
- Add the celtic sea salt to taste. (I used 1 tablespoon for the entire batch)
- Pour the beef bone stock into glass jars.
- Store in glass jars in the refrigerator for 3 days or freeze it. Just be sure you do not freeze in the ball mason jars. (I use Pyrex)