- 1 pound of organic, pasture butter
- oven-safe pan
- cheese cloth or thin fabric for straining
- glass container
- Place one pound of pasture butter in a Dutch oven or other oven-safe pan.pasture butter in pan
- Place pan into oven and cook, uncovered, at 250 degrees F. (No need to preheat) When you check on it after 45 minutes this is what it should look like. The milk solids are rising to the top.
- Continue cooking for another 30 minutes. At this point the water is boiling off and the milk solids are beginning to settle to the bottom of the pan and are browning. how to make ghee in the oven
- Remove the pan from the oven (about 1 hour 15 minutes total time) and allow to cool slightly.
- Strain through three layers of cheesecloth or even an old t-shirt or thin kitchen towel. Your empty pan may look something like this with milk solids on the bottom and some browned bits.
- You will be left with the pure butter oil – no water or milk solids like lactose and casein.
- Pour the ghee into a glass jar that can accommodate at least 12 ounces.
- Store the ghee in the glass container at room temperature for up to six months or in the refrigerator for up to one year.
- Use your ghee for searing meats, sautéing veggies, cooking eggs or adding to sweeter recipes like Spiced Apple Compote or Fried Sweet Plantains.