- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 large bunch kale
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 English (seedless) cucumber, diced small
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries (fruit-sweetened, if possible)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Make the Lemon Vinaigrette
- Combine the oil, lemon juice, minced shallots, sea salt and pepper and whisk until well-combined and emulsified. Set aside.
- Make the Kale Salad
- Wash and dry the kale, remove the thick spines from the leaves and rip or cut the leaves into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Place the prepared kale into a large bowl and toss well with the lemon vinaigrette. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for about one hour.
- Dice the onion and cucumber, chop the bell pepper, slice the tomatoes and place them on top of the marinated kale.
- Finish the salad with a topping of pine nuts (sliced almonds) and optional feta cheese.
- Toss just before serving.