- 1 cup grapefruit juice
- 6 large pastured egg yolks
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons raw honey (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 6 tablespoons ghee, virgin coconut oil or unsalted pastured butter
- Heat the grapefruit juice in a small pan until it is reduced to 1/3 cup.
- Whisk the yolks, honey, concentrated grapefruit juice, lemon juice, zest and salt together in a medium-size bowl over a simmering pot of water (or double-boiler).
- Whisk consistently until the curd is thickened and coats the sides of the bowl, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the pan, add the ghee, butter or coconut oil and stir until melted.
- Run the curd through a fine-mesh sieve to remove the zest and any scrambled bits of egg.
- Pour into a jar and refrigerate. The curd will thicken as it cools.
- Store the curd in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months.