Paleo Quiche with Spaghetti Squash Crust
Grain-Free Breakfast Dish
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Paleo
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons Penzey’s Chili 9000 (or similar chili or taco seasoning blend with all-natural ingredients)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 8 large eggs, whisked
- 1-2 teaspoons additional fat for pan
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Prepare the spaghetti squash: Halve squash lengthwise. Arrange squash in a 9- x 13-inch casserole dish, cut sides down. Pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup water into the dish and bake until just tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Use a spoon to scoop out and discard seeds from the middle of each half. Rake a fork back and forth across the squash to remove its flesh in strands. Season the spaghetti squash with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- While squash is cooking brown the ground beef in a cast iron skillet.
- Add the diced onion, garlic, spice blend and salt and continue cooking until onions are soft. Remove the meat mixture from the skillet to another dish and keep warm.
- Add the cooked, seasoned spaghetti squash to the skillet and spread it out evenly including lining the sides.
- Heat the squash mixture for several minutes until more of the moisture is cooked out.
- Add the reserved spicy beef mixture to the crust.
- Sprinkle the chopped fresh cilantro on top of the beef mixture.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs with some salt and pepper and pour it on top of the beef and crust.
- Add slices of red bell pepper.
- Top with grated cheese (if using) and place in the 350 degree F oven. Cook for about 35 minutes until the eggs are done and quiche seems firm.
- Serve warm.