- 6 medium beets (or 12 small beets)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons raspberry balsamic vinegar
- 3 large blood oranges
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the tops and roots of the beets and peel each one with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut the beets in 1 1/2 inch chunks.
- Place the beets in a baking dish and toss with the olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper.beets and spices
- Roast in the oven for 40 minutes, turning once or twice with a spatula, until the beets are tender.
- While the beets are roasting, zest one of the oranges and set aside the zest.
- Juice that zested orange to get approximately 1/3 cup of juice, set aside the juice.
- Use a sharp knife to create orange segments out of the remaining two oranges.
- Cut both ends off the oranges.
- With the orange standing on one end, use your knife to cut off the peel, exposing the flesh of the orange.
- Cut all the way around until you have a completely bare orange.
- Use a very sharp knife to cut segments out of the oranges.
- Continue cutting inside each membrane until you have all the blood orange segments.
- When the beets are tender, remove from the oven and immediately toss with the vinegar and orange juice.
- Add the orange segments and orange zest.roasted beets and blood oranges
- Serve warm. (Serves six)