Sauteed Broccoli Rabe with Garlic and Pepper
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Side
- 1 large bunch of broccoli rabe (aka rapini)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 1/2 a fresh lemon, wedges
- sea salt
- Rinse the broccoli rabe and trim the end of the stems (an inch or two of the thickest parts)
- Use a crosshatch technique by slicing the thickest stems lengthwise then making a quarter turn and slicing lengthwise again being careful not to detach from the rest of the plant. This helps the rapini cook more evenly.
- Fill a large stock pot with water and bring to a boil. Add salt to the water and then the broccoli rabe. Boil for three minutes.
- Drain the broccoli rabe and immediately submerge into an icebath to stop the cooking process.
- Heat a heavy duty saucepan on medium heat for a couple of minutes. Add the extra virgin olive oil which will bubble slightly.
- Immediately add the red pepper flakes and sliced garlic. Turn down the heat a bit and sauté for about one minute being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the blanched broccoli rabe to the pan and sauté for 3-5 minutes until heated through and fully covered in the oil, red pepper and garlic. At this point you may add some sea salt to taste.
- Pour the sautéed broccoli rabe with garlic and pepper onto a serving dish and squeeze fresh lemons on top.