- 6 apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried cherries (unsweetened if possible)
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- Combine apples, water and lemon juice in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until apples are tender
- Stir in the dried cherries, apricots, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg
- cook 5 more minutes
- Add the ghee to the hot mixture and stir until melted.
- Finish with lemon zest.