Spicy Watermelon Gazpacho
Lightly spicy, fresh, chilled summer soup
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 3 hours
- Yield: 6, 8 ounce servings
- Category: Chilled Soup
- Cuisine: American
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds cubed watermelon (approximately 4-6 cups)
- 1 medium ripe tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 seedless (English) cucumber, diced, reserve half for topping
- 1/2 red onion, diced, plus more for (optional) topping
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced, reserve half for topping
- 1 hatch chile (or 1/4-1/2 jalapeno), seeded and roughly chopped (may substitute other peppers to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- juice of one lime
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- scallions (green onions), finely sliced for topping
- diced avocado, for topping (optional)
- Set aside the reserved diced cucumber, red onion and red bell pepper.
- Place the remaining cucumber, red onion and red bell pepper in a blender along with the watermelon, tomato, chile, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add in the reserved diced cucumber, red bell pepper and onion and chill for 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve individual bowls topped with sliced scallions, chopped cilantro and (optional) avocado.
Keywords: Watermelon; Gazpacho; Hatch chile; vegan; paleo; glutenfree; chilled