- 1 medium-large (approximately 1 pound) cassava root (yuca, manioc)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 strips of organic, nitrate/nitrite free bacon, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Zest one of the oranges and set aside. Juice two and one half of the oranges and slice the remaining half orange into rounds for garnish.
- Lightly season the trout fillets with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the one teaspoon of sage. (Add more if you really like sage.)
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium-high, add some olive oil and sauté trout, skin side down, for 1-2 minutes.
- Lower the temperature a bit, carefully turn the fish over and continue cooking on the other side until done all the way through but not dry. You will probably have to do this in two to three batches.
- Add the blood orange juice (approximately 3/4 cup) to the pan where you cooked the fish. Reduce by about half. Add the zest of one orange and mix into the sauce.