Asian-Style Boneless Beef Short Ribs (Instant Pot)
Asian-Style Boneless Beef Short Ribs recipe you can make in the Instant Pot or any type of pressure cooker.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Category: Main
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Asian
- 3-4 lbs boneless beef short ribs (ideally from grass-fed/finished cows) (or 5 lbs beef ribs with bones)
- 1 teaspoon fat/oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 hot pepper (I used serrano)
- 2 inches of fresh ginger root, peeled (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cups liquid (Can be beef stock or just water. Water will work fine but the stock will make it significantly more rich in flavor)
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos (or gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (make sure it is gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 8 ounces of mushrooms. (Can be shiitake or portobello)
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 3-4 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- OPTIONAL: 8 ounces each of water chestnuts and/or bamboo shoots.
- Season the boneless beef ribs lightly with salt and pepper.
- Turn Instant Pot on high sauté mode, and spread a thin layer of fat/oil to keep the ribs from sticking.
- Sear the ribs for about 1-2 minutes on each side. You will probably have to do this in batches. Remove to a platter and cover with aluminum foil.
- Sauté the chopped onion for about 10 minutes in the same pan you used to sear the ribs. (1 tbsp of water may be needed)
- Mince the garlic, ginger and pepper (or use a food processor as I did) and add to the pot with the onions, cooking while stirring for about one minute.
- Return the beef ribs to the pot and add the stock, water, coconut aminos, vinegar and fish sauce. Make sure the ribs are just covered in the liquid.
- Pressure cook on high for 35 minutes.
- Use natural release for 5 minutes followed by manual release.
- Remove the short ribs to a separate platter and cover them with foil to keep warm.
- Taste the sauce and season, if needed
- Return the Instant Pot back to high sauté mode.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms, and the juice and zest of one orange, and continue simmering until mushrooms are softened – 5-10 minutes.
- OPTIONAL: add water chestnuts and/or bamboo shoots.
- Place the beef short ribs back into the pot and coat them with the sauce.
- Serve the beef short ribs, veggies and sauce warm, garnished with sliced scallions. (Cauliflower rice is a low carb substitute for white rice)
If you use bone-in short ribs you will need closer to 5-6 pounds to get the same yield. The cooking time and rest of the recipe would be the same. For a smooth sauce you can strain it before adding the mushrooms, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.
Keywords: Boneless beef ribs