Boneless beef short ribs are my new favorite food! Same rich, unctuous flavor and the tenderness of regular beef short ribs without the bones. And anytime fresh ginger, garlic and citrus are involved, you know it’s going to be amazing. My husband spent the entire dinner mmm-ing and remarking about how much he loved this dish. The prep is fairly minimal, especially if you have a food processor, and it’s well worth the effort especially considering the Instant Pot significantly reduces the total time required.
There’s another recipe on Paleo Spirit for Asian-Style Beef Short Ribs but this one is different in a few ways. First of all, instead of standard bone-in ribs, cooked in the oven, this recipe produces a similar dish using boneless beef short ribs in the very convenient, time-saving Instant Pot. (You can also use any other type of pressure cooker). In the other recipe for beef short ribs the instructions were to use a sieve to create the sauce. I’ve eliminated that step because I actually like the bits of onion, garlic and citrus. But you could strain it if you prefer.
The addition of water chestnuts and bamboo shoots are low carb options. I love how the water chestnuts add crunch to the dish and both ingredients absorb the rich flavor of the sauce, along with the mushrooms. Serving it over cauliflower rice is another great low carb, keto option.
This boneless beef short ribs recipe is good enough for company and convenient enough for a weeknight meal. You can easily prep all the ingredients ahead, throw it in the Instant Pot and within about 40 minutes you have dinner. The boneless short ribs are a little pricey so we save this for more special occasions but I’m quite sure it would work with stew beef as well.
I hope you try it and enjoy the recipe. Please let me know what you think in the comments. Thanks for stopping by!
Asian-Style Boneless Beef Short Ribs Recipe:Print
Asian-Style Boneless Beef Short Ribs (Instant Pot)
Asian-Style Boneless Beef Short Ribs recipe you can make in the Instant Pot or any type of pressure cooker.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Asian
- 3–4 lbs boneless beef short ribs (ideally from grass-fed/finished cows) (or 5 lbs beef ribs with bones)
- 1 teaspoon fat/oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 hot pepper (I used serrano)
- 2 inches of fresh ginger root, peeled (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cups liquid (Can be beef stock or just water. Water will work fine but the stock will make it significantly more rich in flavor)
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos (or gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (make sure it is gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 8 ounces of mushrooms. (Can be shiitake or portobello)
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 3–4 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- OPTIONAL: 8 ounces each of water chestnuts and/or bamboo shoots.
- Season the boneless beef ribs lightly with salt and pepper.
- Turn Instant Pot on high sauté mode, and spread a thin layer of fat/oil to keep the ribs from sticking.
- Sear the ribs for about 1-2 minutes on each side. You will probably have to do this in batches. Remove to a platter and cover with aluminum foil.
- Sauté the chopped onion for about 10 minutes in the same pan you used to sear the ribs. (1 tbsp of water may be needed)
- Mince the garlic, ginger and pepper (or use a food processor as I did) and add to the pot with the onions, cooking while stirring for about one minute.
- Return the beef ribs to the pot and add the stock, water, coconut aminos, vinegar and fish sauce. Make sure the ribs are just covered in the liquid.
- Pressure cook on high for 35 minutes.
- Use natural release for 5 minutes followed by manual release.
- Remove the short ribs to a separate platter and cover them with foil to keep warm.
- Taste the sauce and season, if needed
- Return the Instant Pot back to high sauté mode.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms, and the juice and zest of one orange, and continue simmering until mushrooms are softened – 5-10 minutes.
- OPTIONAL: add water chestnuts and/or bamboo shoots.
- Place the beef short ribs back into the pot and coat them with the sauce.
- Serve the beef short ribs, veggies and sauce warm, garnished with sliced scallions. (Cauliflower rice is a low carb substitute for white rice)
If you use bone-in short ribs you will need closer to 5-6 pounds to get the same yield. The cooking time and rest of the recipe would be the same. For a smooth sauce you can strain it before adding the mushrooms, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.
Keywords: Boneless beef ribs