Pan-Fried Pork Chop with Apple Compote
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 75 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Apple Compote
- 1 small sweet onion, or 1/2 large onion, peeled and diced very finely
- 2 small tart apples (such as Pink Lady), peeled, cored, and diced very finely
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Pork Chop
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Sea salt and fresh-cracked pepper to taste
- 4 thick-cut pastured pork chops (loin or rib end)
- Make the compote: In a small saucepan, combine all compote ingredients and set over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 35 to 45 minutes, or until a sauce-like consistency is reached and apples and onions are soft.
- Meanwhile, make the pork chops: Preheat the oven to 400°F and place a heavy baking tray in the middle rack. In a heavy, cast-iron pan, melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Season the chops on all sides with salt and pep- per. Place in hot pan and sear for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to oven and allow to cook for approximately 10 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of chop reads 145°F.
- Serve compote over pork chops.