*This Giveaway is Closed*
In spite of its demonization in years past, coconut oil is actually a health food. Elizabeth Nyland, the woman behind the popular blog Guilty Kitchen understands this very well. In her new cookbook “COOKING WITH COCONUT OIL: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free Recipes for Good Living” Elizabeth explains how finding out “fats are good for you” was a turning point in her relationship with food.
Elizabeth has done her research on not only the health benefits of coconut oil but has put it to delicious use in the recipes in her new cookbook. As the proud owner of this beautiful book I can tell you it is chock full of delicious, healthful, approachable recipes. One of the things I really love about “Cooking with Coconut Oil” is each recipe is accompanied by a gorgeous photograph.
Inside “COOKING WITH COCONUT OIL: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free Recipes for Good Living” you will find more than 75 mouthwatering, paleo, gluten-free, grain-free coconut oil and coconut flour recipes. As an extra bonus you will find:
- Details on the health benefits of coconut oil
- An overview of key ingredients
- High level explanation of paleo as well as tips and tricks
Personally, this is my current favorite cookbook to share with loved ones just starting (or curious about) the paleo diet. It provides basic information on paleo as well as recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, treats and baked goods. It’s just enough without being overwhelming or intimidating.
One of my favorite recipes from the book is “Dark Chocolate Cherry Muffins”. I featured them in a recent post about Ovenart Bakeware. It was my guinea pig recipe with the silicone muffin cups. They were rich, delicious and easy. The coconut flour meant they were relatively low-carb and filled me up and kept me satisfied for hours.
Another recipe we tried was the “Pan-Fried Pork Chops with Apple Compote”. Gavin was the cook for that one and he did a masterful job (if he does say so himself). The pork chops were delectable. In fact, they were so mouthwatering I actually choked on a piece of the pork because I was eating it entirely too quickly. This entailed a trip to the emergency room! Yes, seriously. In my defense, I have a condition known as “Eosinophilic Esophagitis” which, according to my gastroenterologist, makes me more susceptible to choking – more on that in a future post. But suffice it to say, the pork chops, paired with a savory and sweet apple compote, were delicious and simple yet elegant. (NOTE: the pork chops will not induce choking in a normal human being who is not scarfing their food.)
Pan-Fried Pork Chops with Apple Compote
- Apple Compote
- 1 small sweet onion, or ½ large onion, peeled and diced very finely
- 2 small tart apples (such as Pink Lady), peeled, cored, and diced very finely
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ tsp cinnamon ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Pork Chop
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Sea salt and fresh-cracked pepper to taste
- 4 thick-cut pastured pork chops (loin or rib end)
- Make the compote: In a small saucepan, combine all compote ingredients and set over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 35 to 45 minutes, or until a sauce-like consistency is reached and apples and onions are soft.
- Meanwhile, make the pork chops: Preheat the oven to 400°F and place a heavy baking tray in the middle rack. In a heavy, cast-iron pan, melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Season the chops on all sides with salt and pep- per. Place in hot pan and sear for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to oven and allow to cook for approximately 10 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of chop reads 145°F.
- Serve compote over pork chops.
COOKBOOK GIVEAWAY!!! (This Giveaway is now over)
You can purchase “COOKING WITH COCONUT OIL: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free Recipes for Good Living” through my (affiliate)* link OR you can enter to win a free copy by following instructions in the Rafflecopter widget at the bottom of this post. The winner will be contacted within 24 hours of the end of the giveaway via the email they have provided. I will also make the announcement on Facebook. If the winner does not respond within 48 hours a new winner will be chosen. Good Luck!
*this post contains affiliate links – the intention is to direct you to products I use on a regular basis for your information. Many of the products can be found in your local area but not all will be easy to find in all places. I only recommend products I believe in and use on a regular basis. If you decide to purchase a product via the Amazon link I will receive a small commission but it does not increase the price you pay. Thanks for your support!Pin It