“It might choke Artie, but it ain’t gonna choke Stymie!”
The entire time I was making this dairy-free spinach-artichoke dip the above line was going through my head. I’m not sure how many of you remember “The Little Rascals” but it was a show I used to watch all the time growing up. I LOVED Stymie, Alfalfa, Darla and, of course, Spanky. In this scene, Stymie is given a fine meal to try. He doesn’t know what an artichoke is but he’s “gonna tackle it”.
Clearly, artichokes can be a bit intimidating. The good news is this recipe, while featuring artichokes, presents none of the associated confusion. We are going to stick with the artichoke hearts and make our lives easier. Whew!
My husband G and I made this spinach-artichoke dip on New Year’s Eve. We had some leftover corn chips from our traditional Christmas Eve Tortilla Soup. (Yes, I realize corn chips are not paleo. But they were gluten-free so it was a splurge.) We cut up some cucumbers and tried the dip with both. Two years ago I probably would have preferred the corn chips with the dip. But this time we found ourselves favoring the cucumbers! It was a bit surprising but I guess our tastes have really changed. Not to say I don’t enjoy corn chips now and then but they are definitely not something I crave. It was a nice confirmation of how changing the way we eat can build on itself in altering our tastes for the better if we stick with it.
The paleo spinach-artichoke dip uses my newly found favorite ingredient: cashew cream. It gives the dip that creamy taste you want without using dairy products. We have made this twice in a week. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.
- 2, 10 ounce boxes frozen, chopped spinach
- 2, 14 ounce cans or jars of artichoke hearts (I used brined)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt (adjust to taste and depending on how salty the artichoke hearts are)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups (approximate) cashew cream
- Defrost the spinach and squeeze out the excess water. Set aside.
- Drain and roughly chop the artichokes.
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the chopped artichokes, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne and heat through.
- Add in the spinach and lemon juice and stir until heated through.
- Stir in the cashew cream.
This dairy-free spinach-artichoke dip is best served warm. We enjoyed it with slices of cucumbers and red bell peppers because they were good for scooping. It would also be great with some grain-free crackers and/or different veggies.
To subscribe to Paleo Spirit by email, enter your address below. You will receive a confirmation email to activate your subscription. If you don’t see it right away check the spam folder.Pin It