This Paleo Creamed Spinach Cauliflower Rice recipe works really well for several different eating protocols. Because it is a paleo recipe, it is gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, legume-free, etc… but it also works well for 21 Day Sugar Detox because it contains no sugar or fruit. It’s also great if you are doing the Whole30, and with a couple of exclusions of spices, it works for the Autoimmune Paleo Protocol as well.
When I first made this cauliflower rice main dish, I wasn’t sure how it would go over. But my older son took one taste and said he loved it. He’s very sensitive to textures and while he refuses to eat crunchy or undercooked veggies, he LOVES soft ones. So he’s always happy when I make steamed broccoli that is cooked until soft or pureed veggie soups or cooked carrots, etc… My husband, on the other hand, hates cauliflower no matter whether it is crunchy or cooked. So the good thing about the addition of the spinach in this recipe is it takes away from the cauliflower flavor (if that’s an issue for you). If you and your family don’t have a “texture issue” then you might decide to add in a few pine nuts just for some crunch.
I happened to have Penzey’s French Four Spice on hand and I love how well the mix of white pepper, ginger, nutmeg and cloves goes with the main ingredients. You can either find that spice mix for yourself in the grocery store or online. If you want to make it at home you can follow this recipe:
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- Rounded 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
*makes about 2 tablespoons of French Four Spice
Paleo Creamed Spinach Cauliflower Rice Main DishPrint
Paleo Creamed Spinach Cauliflower Rice with Lamb
Easy recipe that can be a main dish or side. Works for many different “strict” paleo protocols such as 21 Day Sugar Detox (21dsd), Whole30 and Autoimmune Paleo Protocol (AIP). Vegetarian or Vegan option.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Paleo
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ground pork, beef or lamb
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Penzey’s French Four Spice – see separate recipe to make your own (exclude for AIP)
- 1 1/2 – 2 teaspoons salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (exclude for AIP)
- 1 head cauliflower, riced
- 10 ounces of finely chopped spinach (defrosted and drained of extra liquid)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- Brown the ground meat of choice in a large pan on medium heat with one tablespoon of olive oil
- Add the chopped onions and cook with the meat until soft
- Add the French Four Spice, salt and red pepper flakes and continue cooking for another minute
- Add the riced cauliflower and one tablespoon of olive oil, turn up the heat to medium/high and stir-fry until soft and a lot of the liquid is cooked out, about 10 minutes
- Stir in the spinach
- Add the coconut cream and cook just until heated through
You can easily make this Paleo Creamed Spinach Cauliflower Rice vegetarian and vegan simply by leaving out the meat. You will need to add the olive oil up front to cook down the onions and add a bit more later on when stir-frying the cauliflower.