Much has already been written about the wonderful new book “Beyond Bacon: Paleo Recipes That Respect The Whole Hog” – here, here and here. Matthew McCarry and Stacy Toth (The Paleo Parents) have created a true Masterpiece of a cookbook that excels in all categories. I don’t know about you, but I have become pretty selective when it comes to actual hard copies of books. The advent of electronic media has meant that e-books, iPad apps and digital downloads of books have become the norm. If a bona fide hardback book is making it into my house it better be excellent. Beyond Bacon is just such a book.
Beyond Bacon is a completely “paleo” cookbook with only gluten, grain, legume and dairy-free recipes found within its covers. Even if you are not a strict follower of the paleo diet this book is loaded with tasty dishes and mouth-watering photos for every recipe. Presenting a book of pork recipes, including several “dessert” recipes utilizing lard as a main ingredient, means spending time countering a lot of conventional wisdom on the subject. Matt and Stacy do an excellent job of providing plenty of science and nutrition information in and easy to understand format. The writing style is engaging and they cover every aspect of pork from how to buy it, prepare it with lots and lots of recipes. You have always known pork is delicious. But after reading Beyond Bacon you will have a much better understanding of why pork from properly raised pigs is actually very healthful.
My favorite recipes so far are:
- Apple and Bacon Stuffed Pork Chops
- Cuban Porchetta
- Faux-Tato Salad
- Lard Pie Crust
- Salted Caramel Bacon Sauce (WOW!!!)
You’ll also find recipes like these:
- Maple Sage Breakfast Sausage
- Sweet and Sour Pork
- Crispy Lardons
- Fried Yuca
- Green Papaya Salad with Poached Jowl (next on my menu)
- Prosciutto and Roasted Peach Ice Cream
Just check out Nathaniel’s face as he feasts his eyes on the “Salted Caramel Bacon Sauce” recipe which proved to be “out of this world” delicious.
In summary, here are the main reasons Beyond Bacon is worthy of a place in any cookbook collection:
- Excellent information about the health benefits of eating pastured pork
- Scientific and nutrition information in an easy-to-understand format
- Sections on pork basics like: sausage-making, smoking, rendering lard, making bacon and more
- Real food recipes without too many hard to find ingredients
- Gorgeous photographs for every recipe
- Engaging writing style
- Nice layout with helpful listing of recipes by meal-type and ingredient
- No “wasted” recipes because they are all gluten/grain/legume/dairy-free ingredients
I cannot recommend Beyond Bacon more highly. If you are looking for a cookbook that will help you eat more healthily and economically, this is the book for you. If you love to better understand why going “back to the basics” with food makes nutritional sense, this book is for you. And if you love cookbooks with delicious recipes, beautiful photographs and design, you simply MUST add Beyond Bacon to your collection.
On Sale Now! Go buy Beyond Bacon. You won’t regret it.
Sign up to be notified of new posts: (no spam!)Pin It