This basic paleo blueberry muffins recipe comes at a perfect time. It’s blueberry season around here. Blueberries are showing up at our local farmers’ markets in huge quantities. People flock to the u-pick farms for the pleasure of plucking these little nutrition powerhouses from the bushes themselves. Blueberries are anti-inflammatory and filled with good things like manganese, vitamin C, vitamin K and fiber. They are relatively low in sugar which makes them an ideal fruit for lower carb diets. But blueberries are also beautiful and traditional and, well, they are blue! Not many other foods can claim this color.
We have a couple of blueberry bushes in our backyard so when their buds emerged earlier in the season (April 1st) I pulled out my macro lens to capture these images. There’s just something amazing about seeing God’s beauty up close. It becomes something totally different and often even more impressive.
Beautiful, nutritious, and delicious – blueberries have a lot going for them. Eating them fresh is ideal. But if you find yourself with some extra blueberries lying around, or if you have been to one of those u-pick farms and have bushels, you may want to turn a few into paleo blueberry muffins.
The other reason this recipe comes at a perfect time is because we just figured out our oldest son, Benjamin, has outgrown his allergy to almonds. Benjamin’s allergy skin tests always showed a milder reaction to almonds than any other nuts. So I wondered if this day might come. It has been tough helping him transition to a paleo way of eating because of that allergy. He’s been primarily limited to coconut flour recipes with the exception of Paleo Dinner Rolls which used tapioca flour (those were a hit!) But it’s quite a relief to be able to feed him things with almond flour now and then without worry. In fact, our pediatric allergist encouraged us to feed the boys nuts they can tolerate so they do not develop an allergy. (Please consult a physician prior to attempting reintroduction of nuts into the diet if there is a known allergy history.)
Paleo Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch (aka tapioca flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (gluten-free)
- 1/8 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup melted virgin coconut oil, ghee or pastured butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a regular size muffin tin or line with paper liners. (You can also use a silicone pan or silicone cupcake liners for better “non-stick” results)
- Mix (or sift) the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, honey, oil and vanilla in another bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Gently stir the blueberries into the batter.
- Spoon into 12 muffin tins. (They will be fairly full)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until slightly golden on top.
- Serve warm
Sign up to be notified of new posts: (no spam!)