Creamy Paleo Chicken Enchiladas Verdes
creamy chicken enchiladas. gluten & dairy free
- Yield: ~8 servings
- Category: Main
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup liquid (water, chicken stock or vegetable stock)
- 8 paleo tortillas
- 3 cups diced and/or shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 1 recipe cashew sour cream, (approximately 1 1/2 cups)
- salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- chicken stock
- Place the cashews in a bowl, cover with water and allow to soak for several hours or over night. (Alternatively, you can cover with water, heat to a simmer and turn off the heat and allow to soak for at least an hour)
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
- Place cashews in a food processor or high speed blender with the lemon juice, salt and about half the liquid. Pulse to process scraping the sides down as necessary. Add the remaining liquid and process for several minutes until extremely smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Combine the salsa verde and cashew sour cream in a medium sauce pan and heat slowly until warm. Season will salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix approximately 1 1/2 cups of the salsa/sour cream mixture with the shredded chicken.
- Roll 1/8th of the chicken mixture in each of the tortillas (about 1/3-1/2 cup each) and assemble the chicken enchiladas, side by side, in a pan (use 9 x 13 or similar size/shape).
- Top the chicken enchiladas with the remaining salsa/sour cream mixture. (Thin out the sauce with extra chicken stock if it is too thick after heating)
- Cover with aluminum foil and heat in the oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from the oven and top with slices of avocado and scallions. Serve immediately.
Sign Up to Receive Paleo Spirit E-mails
Sign up below to receive emails when there is a new post. You can unsubscribe anytime. (You will receive an email confirming your subscription -you will not begin receiving emails until you confirm. If you do not see the confirmation email be sure and check your spam folder
Find Paleo Spirit on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.Pin It
Yum, those look great. Thank you for the recipe. Will try soon. God bless.
You are totally amazing! Keep the recipes coming.
Fabulous, Lea! I just shared on Facebook and will share more. 🙂 I look forward to trying this dish in the near future!
Thanks Shirley, I always appreciate your great support.
I love savory crepes! Can’t wait to give this recipe a try. Thank you so much for sharing it!
These are absolutely amazing! I make them and freeze them to have a quick satisfying microwave meal available for the times I don’t feel like cooking. Obviously better fresh, but surprisingly tasty frozen!
Lea, these are really great! I just made them for dinner last night, and my husband and I both loved them! And there are plenty of leftovers for lunch : ) Thanks for doing what you do–it keeps us “paleo motivated”.
No problem. Glad you like them and thanks for the feedback!
I made this today and it was delish! Garnished with the scallions and avacado I also added a couple stalks of celery and a few uncooked spinach leaves on the side- it made the hues of green quite pretty besides tasty. Thanks for the great recipe!
You’re welcome. I’m so glad you liked it!
I don’t usually comment and I know this post is older, but these were so good! Thank you so much for this recipe. I have used other recipes from your site before, and I have been very pleased so far. Thank you!
Thank you Sara. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. 🙂
his is by far one of my favorite’s! thank you so much! with learning how to make cashew sour cream i now incorporate it into so many old family favorites! it has really helped going dairy free! i was wondering if you had the nutritional information for this, to know how how much is a serving size and so forth??? thank you again from one very happy family!
was the first word sorry
Could I use normal homemade tomato salsa instead of salsa verde?
Absolutely! I think any salsa would work fine.
Tried this recipe tonight with my 5 picky eaters and all loved it!!!! It was an amazing recipe and so easy to make. Thank you so much. We will definitely be making this again!!!!!!
Thanks you for the recipe. Would regular sour cream work?
Thank you, and, yes, sour cream would work.